Group Volunteer Opportunities
We are proud to offer group volunteer opportunities for anyone seeking to make a difference in Ottawa. Opportunities to volunteer as a group are especially popular as a way to connect with co-workers, classmates, or friends while making a valuable contribution to the community. We are happy to collaborate with your group to create your volunteer opportunity. We also have a list of suggestions below based on previous activities previous volunteer groups have participated in.
General Guidelines on Group Volunteering
- Volunteering opportunities are available at the shelter as well as in the community
- Our volunteering opportunities on-site are dependent on the needs of our programs; please contact us to discuss availability
- For the wide range of volunteering opportunities we offer, The Ottawa Mission operates on a first-come, first-serve basis to ensure equal opportunity for all
- On-site hours for volunteer groups are as follows:
- Monday to Saturday – 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. OR 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday – 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Larger groups of volunteers may be split into smaller groups of two or three people, and groups may participate in different activities
- The Ottawa Mission provides hair nets, gloves, and utensils for groups that share in food preparation and serving activities on-site
- Group opportunities are available to all ages; however, adults must be present for volunteers under the age of 16
- We do not recommend bringing children under the age of six into the shelter
- Tax receipts are available for donations made to The Ottawa Mission
Activities for Volunteer Groups
General support is one of the most vital contributions your volunteer group can make at The Ottawa Mission. We have 235 shelter beds whose sheets need to be folded, 1,300 meals served daily that require food prep, and thousands of clothing donations that need to be sorted and organized. We generally support groups of two to 10 volunteers for this activity. Contact us to discuss available dates and times for your group today!
The Ottawa Mission serves between 300 and 500 individuals every meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Groups can fund and participate in part of a meal, such as a dessert, or go all out with a full dinner consisting of a main dish, side dishes, dessert, and a beverage! A full meal service requires groups of 15 to 25 people, whereas a partial meal service requires groups of five to 10 people. Other opportunities are available if your group cannot attend a meal service—visit our Food Support page to find out more!
We run several special events throughout the year at The Ottawa Mission. Having your group attend and participate in one of these events is a great way to connect with the community while supporting a great cause. By organizing a food, clothing, or toiletry drive with your friends, classmates, co-workers, or congregation, you can help support hundreds of people while also raising awareness about services available in Ottawa to people in need.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator to book your volunteer group today!
Claudia Reid-Musson | Volunteer Coordinator