The work of The Ottawa Mission can be witnessed every day in the lives of the hungry, homeless and lost. Whether it’s providing a place to sleep, a meal, or offering job training, The Ottawa Mission changes lives every day. From its inception in 1906, The Ottawa Mission has been motivated by the desire to help those who do not have the resources to help themselves.

Fast Facts

  • 1, 968 different people found shelter with The Ottawa Mission.
  • The occupancy rate was 97 %
  • The average length of stay was 48 days.
  • The average age of residents was 40.5 years.
  • An average of 228 men used The Ottawa Mission for shelter every night.
  • We served an average of 1,270 meals each day, for a total of 467,122 meals.

The Ottawa Mission receives roughly 40% of its funding from government services. The other 60% of funds needed to operate come from community donations.

How we help

Food, Clothing and Shelter – The Ottawa Mission serves more than 1,200 meals a day, operates 235 beds, and distributes hundreds of items of clothing to Ottawa’s hungry, homeless and lost. Addiction Services – The Ottawa Mission offers a drop-in day program for people considering addiction treatment, a 30-day Stabilization program for those looking for treatment, and finally LifeHouse, a 5-month residential treatment program with 11 beds.

In 2012, 160 new people came to the Day Program, 79 successfully completed the Stabilization Program, and 22 graduated from LifeHouse. Healthcare – Health services offered by The Ottawa Mission include a hospice, a primary medical clinic and a dental clinic. In 2012, there were 7007 patient visits to The Ottawa Mission’s Primary Care Clinic, 979 patient visits to the Dental Clinic and 20 people spent their final days at The Hospice with care and dignity. Education, Job Training and Client Services – The Ottawa Mission’s unique Client Services Centre helps dozens of people daily with things like upgrading their education, practical job training, and mental health support.

Housing – Finding safe, affordable housing is one of the biggest challenges people staying at The Ottawa Mission face. Last year, The Ottawa Mission helped 176 people find a place to call home and provided second stage transitional housing for 28 people. Spiritual Support – The door is always open to the Chaplain’s office at The Ottawa Mission. Some people drop in daily to see a friendly face and others come in looking for guidance in a time of crisis. On average, 45 people attend the small Chapel Service held daily at The Mission.

Volunteers

The Ottawa Mission relies on volunteer support from the community. About 250 volunteers come through the Mission every month to help with the preparation of meals. Volunteers also help in the clothing room, tutor in our learning centre and sit with our hospice patients.

Executive Personnel

Peter Tilley,
Executive Director, The Ottawa Mission

Laird Eddy,
Executive Director, The Ottawa Mission Foundation

Contact

Angie Kelly,
Development Officer, The Ottawa Mission Foundation

Phone: 613-234-1155 Ext. 426